Daily Archives: August 11, 2012
In response to a previous Applesauce post today, one of our commenters quotes Paul Ryan as claiming that he “rejects” the views of Ayn Rand, the late novelist, atheist and crackpot philosopher.
Ryan says widespread accounts of his devotion to Rand’s philosophies are just an “urban legend.”
But that’s not true. Ryan’s cult-like admiration for Rand was made amply clear in the following video which I LINKED TO MONTHS AGO when Ryan disavowed any admiration for Rand. (But, of course, I was wrong to suggest in that post that Ryan’s Ayn Rand thing would preclude any vice-presidential candidacy for him.)
The fine folks over at Think Progress have put together THIS LIST of stuff you’re going to want to know about Rep. Paul Ryan, the genius from Janesville:
1. Ryan embraces the extreme philosophy of Ayn Rand.
2. Ryan wants to raise taxes on the middle class, cut them for millionaires.
3. Ryan wants to end Medicare, replace it with a voucher system.
4. Ryan thinks Social Security is a “ponzi scheme.”
5. Ryan’s budget would result in 4.1 million lost jobs in 2 years.
6. Ryan wants to eliminate Pell Grants for more more than 1 million students.
There are times in the life of every political pundit when having been wrong about one thing or another is a happy occasion. Such is the case with my having been wrong about Mitt Romney’s choice for his running mate.
Just the other day, I argued HERE that the nod would not go to Rep. Paul Ryan — mainly because Democrats would welcome it. I even held steady on that point when I reported HERE yesterday afternoon that pressure on Romney to choose Ryan was becoming intense.