|

Petraeus shoots down theory that his resignation from CIA had something to do with Benghazi

Earlier today, I told you HERE about right-wing pundit Charles Krauthammer’s utterly illogical  theory “that President Obama blackmailed then-CIA Director David Petraeus to give testimony about the attacks on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that was in line with the administration’s position on the matter.”

And now we have THIS:

Former CIA Director David Petraeus on Thursday said his resignation had nothing to do with the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, and denied disclosing any classified information.

Petraeus’s comments come a day before he is expected to testify to the House and Senate Intelligence committees at closed-door hearings. Those hearings are expected to focus on what Petraeus saw when he visited Benghazi.

(Snip)

Petraeus’s first comments since his resignation were to CNN Headline News reporter Kyra Phillips. He told Phillips he had not provided any classified documents to his biographer, Paula Broadwell, with whom he had an extramarital affair.

Petraeus said he resigned from the CIA because of the affair and believed standing down from his post was the appropriate response, according to Phillips.

Petraeus added that he did not try to persuade others in the administration to allow him to keep his job once he admitted the affair, according to the report. The four-star general said he had not spoken to Broadwell since his resignation last week.

A question arises: Will any of the right-wing conspiracy theorists now argue that Petraeus is lying about whether his resignation was related to Benghazi?

I can’t imagine that happening. Conservatives usually aren’t given to impugning the integrity of four-star generals. Petraeus has long been a hero extraordinaire to Republicans in particular and Americans in general.

As much as the wingnuts hate Obama, they’ll just have to take Petraeus at his word on the reason for his resignation from the CIA. Obama’s only role in that resignation was his formal acceptance of it.

Share:

4 Comments

  1. Ted Biondo

    Pat, I don’t give a damn about why Patraeus resigned. That argument diverts attention from why he lied about the attack on the consulate being because of a stupid YOU-Tube video when he knew that it was terrorists, fully armed and was not as all the liars in this administration tried to palm off on the American people until after the election.

    You are trying to coverup, like left-wing pundits are trying to do – what actually happened and why it happened in Benghazi. It’s because Obama didn’t want the people to know, before the election, that the al-Qaeda wasn’t under control as he had told us and he didn’t want the American people to know that his administration didn’t provide adequate security for our ambassador, despite two bombings against the American consulate recently after the Ambassador asked for help and didn’t provide the maximum help after the attack started and the administration knew about it. That what is important, not any damn affair – another coverup!

  2. Brian Opsahl

    Ted, you act like your opinions have facts to them…and they do NOT !! and you no it. Paul Ryan did NOT provide the REQUESTED security money a year ago DID he.
    So start right there if you want to place some blame….right !! Since Hillary Clinton asked for more funding to enhance EMBASSY security and the republicans said NO….so there you go Ted, start your investagation right there….And when there is something real to report it will NOT be on your number one sourse for news …FOX the guys that lied fro weeks about the election….and they lied to you to Ted….So !!

  3. Money was cut for embassy “security, construction and maintenence”. Not security at the facility in Libya. If there is any blame to be had for lack of adequate security it is to be found with the Obama administration, not the Republicans in Congress.

    http://factcheck.org/2012/10/veep-debate-violations/

    The Obama administration requested $1.801 billion for embassy security, construction and maintenance for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, according to The Hill newspaper. And House Republicans came back with a proposal to cut spending to $1.425 billion. Ultimately, the Republican-controlled House agreed to increase funding to $1.537 billion after negotiations with the Senate.

    Biden also claimed that the administration wasn’t aware of security concerns among U.S. officials in Libya before the attack on the consulate in Benghazi that killed four Americans. The vice president said: “[W]e weren’t told they wanted more security there. We did not know they wanted more security again.”

    We can’t say whether requests for more security — which were denied — reached the top. But American officials who worked in Libya over the summer placed the blame on a deputy assistant secretary of state — not top administration officials — when testifying before Congress this week.

    Eric Nordstrom, the top regional security officer in Libya over the summer, said: “All of us at post were in sync that we wanted these resources.”

    Andrew Wood, a Utah National Guardsman who was leading a security team, testified: ”We felt great frustration that those requests were ignored or just never met.”

    They placed the blame squarely on Charlene Lamb, deputy assistant secretary of state for international programs, according to Foreign Policy magazine.

  4. Brian Opsahl

    Doc: take your tempature and stop watching Fox …i no thats where your getting all this arnt you…come on now

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA Image

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>