|

Fact-checking Ted Cruz’s ridiculous rhetoric about illegal immigration

ted_cruz6-620x412

The Republican senator from Texas is peddling nonsense, as the folks at FactCheck.org explain HERE:

Sen. Ted Cruz says there will be “20 or 30 million” people living in the U.S. illegally “in another 10, 20 years” if the Senate immigration bill becomes law. But the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office says the bill, if enacted, will reduce future illegal immigration by 33 percent to 50 percent compared with current law.

The Republican freshman senator from Texas offered his estimate on ABC’s “This Week,” while discussing the impact of the bill on the political future of one of its sponsors, Republican Sen. Marco Rubio.

We asked the senator’s office to support that statement. His spokesman, Sean Rushton, said that “it was not a factual statement — it was an opinion.”

Nobody can predict the future, but there is a nonpartisan congressional office that produces reports for members of Congress to consider when making policy decisions. We’re referring, of course, to the Congressional Budget Office, which was created by Congress in 1974 to provide “impartial information about budgetary and economic issues, CBO says. And CBO estimates that in 10 years there would be 6.4 million “future unauthorized residents” without the legislation and 4 million with it — a “net decline in future unauthorized residents” of 37.5 percent…

These are not facts, but they are projections from the nonpartisan source Congress uses in making policy decisions. And these projections indicate that Cruz’s statement is way off base.

 

Share:

3 Comments

  1. Steverino

    Cruz like all GOP/Tea Party politicians does his research at the library of thin air.

  2. Quite amusing that you lefties are satisfied with curbing illegal immigration by, let’s assume 37.5 percent. The whole point, for normal people, is to cut illegal border crossers by as close to 100 percent as possible. So, leaving the illegal flow at 62.5 percent of the current flow, Cruz’s estimate is correct. It’s just a matter of how many years it will take.

    Your math is fuzzy. It’s no wonder the national debt continues to grow. And a reduction in increase in spending is called a “cut.”

  3. forumsforjustiice

    In 1987 there were 3200 Border Patrol agents
    thought to apprehend, at best, 1 out of every 7, illegal immigrant border-crossers

    Now, there are over 21,000 Border Patrol agents
    thought to apprehend 1 out of 3……

    VADER radar detected 7,333 border crossers during its Arizona missions.
    Border Patrol agents reported 410 apprehensions during that time.

    Since the 1986 Amnesty, over 28,000,000 illegal immigrants have been apprehended at our border.
    (97.84% of the Total FY2012 Apprehensions were at our Southwest border).

    Then Janet Napolitano has the mendacity to testify, in front of Congress, that, in addition:
    “of all the illegal immigrants, in our country, 40% are visa overstays.”

    We, the people, are sick and tired of seeing our country,
    being swarmed and overrun by illegal immigrants.

    more at link: http://forumsforjustice.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4045&postcount=1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA Image

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>