|

’60 Minutes’ reporter admits that her Benghazi report was botched

hqdefault

Earlier this week, I told you HERE about a guy who falsely claimed to have witnessed the infamous Benghazi attack and about the credibility mistakenly accorded his version of events by “60 Minutes,” the venerable newsmagazine on CBS.

And now the reporter on the story at issue is FESSING UP to the problem:

CBS correspondent Lara Logan [above]  apologized to viewers Friday for a disputed “60 Minutes” report on the Benghazi attack and said the program would issue a correction.

“Today the truth is that we made a mistake,” Logan said on “CBS This Morning.”

At the center of the dispute is Dylan Davies, a British security contractor who under a pseudonym gave “60 Minutes” a heroic account of his involvement in the Sept. 11, 2012 attacks on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya. After the program aired, the Washinton Post and the New York Times discovered contradictions between the account Davies gave “60 Minutes” and the descriptions of the attack the contractor gave to his employer and to the FBI.

Those reports raised questions about whether Davies was actually present at the Benghazi compound on the night of the attack, casting doubt onto the contractor’s credibility as a source. CBS issued a statement Thursday that said the network had learned of “new information” undercutting Davies’ account and was looking into the matter.

Logan told viewers that the program took Davies’ vetting “very seriously,” but that the contractor “misled” them.

“We were wrong to put him on air,” Logan said.

“We will apologize to our viewers and we will correct the record on our broadcast on Sunday night,” she added.

 

 

Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA Image

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>