|

Fox News should join CBS in apologizing for bogus ’60 Minutes’ story on Benghazi

foxnews-cbs-benghazi

Yesterday, I told you HERE about Lara Logan of CBS News admitting that her recent report on “60 Minutes” about the Benghazi controversy was badly botched.

And now Media Matters has published a CHRONOLOGY in which Fox News plays the role of cheerleader for “60 Minutes”:

60 Minutes’ Benghazi report aired the night of October 27. The segment featured the supposed “eyewitness” account of the attacks from British security contractor Dylan Davies, who appeared on the show under the pseudonym “Morgan Jones.”

Davies’ tale included him scaling a 12 foot wall on the side of the diplomatic compound and dispatching a terrorist with his rifle butt. He also told viewers about how he had supposedly seen Ambassador Chris Stevens’ dead body in a local hospital.

In addition to Davies’ story, the 60 Minutes report also rehashed old myths about Benghazi, including invoking the “lingering question” about why no U.S. military forces from outside the country were able to help the embattled diplomatic facilities the night of the attacks. (This was answered long ago.)

The night it aired, conservatives took to Twitter to praise CBS. Fox News contributor Monica Crowley lauded the network for joining Fox News “among the very, very few reporting on this grave & outrageous scandal.” Fellow Fox News contributor Jonah Goldberg also connected CBS’ work to Fox’s reporting on Benghazi, tweeting “This 60 Minutes #benghazi piece corroborates pretty much everything #foxnews has reported so far.”

The morning after the 60 Minutes report aired, Fox News hit the ground running promoting it. Over the course of Monday, October 28, Fox would devote more than 13 segments over 11 different shows to the CBS report, totaling more than 47 minutes of coverage.

Much of Fox’s coverage was self-congratulatory, claiming the CBS report had corroborated their network’s coverage of Benghazi. Bret Baier, host of Fox’s flagship news show Special Report, told viewers that “[l]ast night, one of journalism’s heavy hitters reaffirmed what we knew and had reported on.” Fox & Friends co-host Steve Doocy praised CBS for “finally catching up” to conservative media on the story and proclaimed, “60 Minutes doesn’t cover phony scandals.” The network also predictably used the 60 Minutes story to revive its smear campaign against former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton over Benghazi.

(Snip)

But nestled among the fulsome praise of the 60 Minutes segment by Fox News, conservative media, and Republican lawmakers was a major warning sign: On the 28th, Fox correspondent Adam Housley reported on-air that the network had previously spoken with Davies about Benghazi several times, but “stopped speaking to him when he asked for money.”

The night of October 31, The Washington Post reported that Davies’ account in his book and on CBS differed greatly from an incident report he had filed with his security contractor employer, Blue Mountain, three days after the attack.

According to the Post, the incident report stated that Davies “could not get anywhere near” the compound the night of the attack, and that he found out about Ambassador Stevens’ death not by finding him in a local hospital, but from a Libyan colleague.

The night of October 31, The Washington Post reported that Davies’ account in his book and on CBS differed greatly from an incident report he had filed with his security contractor employer, Blue Mountain, three days after the attack.

According to the Post, the incident report stated that Davies “could not get anywhere near” the compound the night of the attack, and that he found out about Ambassador Stevens’ death not by finding him in a local hospital, but from a Libyan colleague.

(Snip)

CBS’ defense of its report finally completely collapsed on the evening of November 7.

The New York Times reported that Davies “gave the F.B.I. an account of the night that terrorists attacked the mission on Sept. 11, 2012 that contradicts a version of events he provided in a recently published book and in an interview” with 60 Minutes.

CBS told the Times that it was “surprised to hear about this, and if it shows we’ve been misled, we will make a correction.” It also posted a statement on its website reading: “60 Minutes has learned of new information that undercuts the account told to us by Morgan Jones of his actions on the night of the attack on the Benghazi compound. We are currently looking into this serious matter to determine if he misled us, and if so, we will make a correction.”

 

Share:

2 Comments

  1. Everyone knows there were Al Qaeda flags hoisted all over Benghazi, as Davies said. Everyone knows requests for additional security were denied. But no one knows why the Obama administration ignored all of this. Suddenly, because Davies told a story about entering the compound and hitting a terrorist with his rifle, and that he saw Steven’s dead body, that means the administration has been cleared of everything? Who are you fooling. If this happened under Bush, you’d be calling for his impeachment. Heh. You’re a disinguous Lib. Admit it.

  2. shawnnews

    This report in “The Hill” says Chris Stevens turned down security for unknown reasons.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/299807-report-officials-say-stevens-turned-down-extra-benghazi-security
    If you claim requests for extra security were denied, back it ip. It appears the people fooled are the people who think the administration needs to be cleared.
    This report was from May. If you are still on the hobby horse that Obama left people to die in Benghazi or neglected them, you are the one fooled.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA Image

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>