The metro area’s unemployment rate fell for the fourth straight month in May, hitting 13.9 percent in Boone and Winnebago counties. Even more significant was the year-over-year comparison: the May 2010 rate was lower than the May 2009 rate by 0.4 percentage points, the first year-over-year drop since April 2007.
Here are the local rates and the month-to-month comparisons:
- Rockford metro area: 13.9 percent, down 2.4 percentage points
- Winnebago County: 14 percent, down 2.3 percentage points
- Boone County: 13.5 percent, down 3.1 percentage points
- Ogle County: 12.6, down 2.1 percentage points
- Rockford city: 15.1, down 2.7 percentage points
- Belvidere: 13.9, down 3.9 percentage points
- Freeport: 12.1, down 1.8 percentage points
More analysis later this afternoon, but for now enjoy the positive news.